The text below was provided by Carla Potts (Giles County SCD) as a beginning point for your "Programs" page. You will need to edit the text and add photos from your county to complete the page. Replace the missing photos with photos from your county. Use small photos that are all the same width; the height can vary. 

There are various State and Federal Programs available to landowners through the USDA-NRCS and Giles County SCD. Some of the practices these programs assist with are cross fencing, pipeline, watering tanks, erosion, wildlife habitat, and water quality.


Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) 

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is a continuous USDA sign-up program that offers financial and technical assistance to eligible participants to install and maintain conservation practices, including those related to organic production, on agricultural land or private nonindustrial forestland.  Traditionally all funds have been allocated to applications taken during the first signup period running from October 1 to December 20th, with applications carried over from the prior year included in the first funding period. In Giles County most funds utilized in this program have addressed water quality issues associated with animal agriculture. Conservation practices installed most often increase the ability of the landowner to manage land more profitably and provide positive impacts to the local economy.  Cross fencing and access control fencing, alternative water systems such as frost proof water troughs for cattle, and pipeline have proved to be the most feasible and popular practices we use. Managed grazing allows a landowner to reduce the time that livestock have access to streams which goes to our local water intake. Managed grazing can also significantly increase forage yields, reduce health problems for cattle and improve wildlife habitat. We also offer several options on seeding cropland or poor pastureland, including establishing native grasses.  EQIP offers assistance to address cropland, energy conservation, animal waste management, organic farming, and other resource concerns identified locally.  It offers a great tool for good land managers to improve their farmland. The application, ranking and contracting period usually runs from Fall to Spring with practices being completed during the first 12 months after contracting.

Contact: blahblahblah @ 931-363-2675 x3

 Flowers for Wildlife 

Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP)

The Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) is a USDA-NRCS program aimed at working with landowners to create viable habitat for wildlife through improved management of natural resources.

Contact: blahblahblah @ 931-363-2675 x3


Agricultural Resource Conservation Fund (ARC Fund)


The Agricultural Resource Conservation Fund is a program provided by the Tennessee Department of Agriculture (TDA) to help agricultural producers implement Best Management Practices (BMP’s) that will help improve water quality.

Contact: blahblahblah @ 931-363-2675 x3


Environmental Protection Agency Section 319 Fund (319)


The Environmental Protection Agency Section 319 Fund (319) is a fund provided to State governments by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as mandated by the Clean Water Act (CWA). Section 319 of the CWA states that the EPA is to provide funds to states that have streams that are listed as impaired according to the water quality standards set forth in the CWA.

Contact: blahblahblah @ 931-363-2675 x3


The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.